Karen Livesey, Ph.D.
I moved to the University of Newcastle, Australia in July 1, 2020. I will retain unpaid positions at UCCS in order to maintain research projects.
- Ph.D. University of Western Australia, 2009
Areas of Interest
- Theoretical condensed matter physics including:
- Linear and nonlinear dynamics of magnetic thin films, elements, and heterostructures
- Classical and quantum theories to model experiments
- Ferroelectric and multiferroic materials
- Liquid crystals
- Magnetic nanoparticles in fluids for microwave and biomedical applications
- Single molecular quantum magnets
- Mathematical Methods for Physics (PHYS 5030): 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019
- Quantum Mechanics 1 (PES 4250): 2013, 2019
- Intro to Computational Physics (PES 3970/3140): 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 ***new class***
- Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics (PES 3410): 2014, 2017, 2018
- Modern Physics (PES 3130): 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017
- Physics 3 (PES 2130): 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018
- Physics 2 (PES 1120): 2012, 2014
- Physics 1 (PES 1110): 2012
- Undergraduate research supervision
- Masters & PhD research supervision
- Graduate Co-Adviser (with Prof. Pinchuk)... come talk to me about our Masters and PhD programs!
Honors and Awards
- Emmy Noether Visiting Fellow, Perimeter Institute, Canada (2018-19)
- National Science Foundation grant DMR-1808412 with Prof. Crawford at University of South Carolina (2018-21)
- Royal Society International Exchanges Award IES\R1\180135 with Dr Paul Keatley at University of Exeter, UK (2018-19)
- UCCS LAS College Outstanding Teaching Award (2018)
- Invited Speaker: ISAMMA conference, Taiwan (2013),
- 62nd IEEE MMM Conference (2017), Magnetic North VI (2019),
- Frontiers in Biomagnetic Nanoparticles (2019),
- Magnetic Carriers Meeting (2020)
- Europhysics Letters Distinguished Referee (2016)
- UCCS CRCW Awards (2012-13, 2015-16, 2018-19)
- Peer reviewer for 19 different international journals National Institute for Health (NIH) travel scholarship (2013)
- Prizes for best conference presentation (2006, 2008, 2008, 2019)
- IEEE Magnetics Society Student Travel Awards (2007, 2008)
- UWA Hackett Postgraduate Scholarship (2005-2008)
- Seagate Technologies Top-up Scholarship (2005-2008)
Current Postdocs and Research Students
- Brianne McGrath (PhD, with R. Camley)
- Casey Chalifour (PhD)
- Katie Lilevjen (PhD)
- Jonathon Davidson (PhD)
Past Postdocs and Research Students
- Patrick Yarbrough (PhD 2020)
- Nicholas Anderson (Research associate Biofrontiers 2018)
- David Serantes Abalo (Research associate Biofrontiers 2015, now at Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Spain, and University of York, UK)
- Alexandra Stuart (BSc 2019, URA member, now at CSU PhD)
- Genevieve Godec (BSc 2017, URA member, now in industry)
- Miriam DeJong (Physics undergrad 2015, URA member, U British Columbia MS, now in industry)
- Tim Fal (Research associate Biofrontiers 2014, now a UCCS Instructor)
- Dana Louie (MSc 2014, now at U Maryland PhD)
- Matt Phelps (Physics undergrad 2014, now at U Conn PhD)
- Tom Moore (Physics undergrad 2014, now in local industry)
- Chris Karwin (Physics undergrad 2013, UC Irvine PhD 2019, now at Clemson Postdoc)
- "Self-consistent local mean-field theory for phase transitions and magnetic properties of FeRh," B.R. McGrath, R.E. Camley and K.L. Livesey, Phys. Rev. B 101, 014444 (2020).
- "Far-Infrared Reflection from Heterostructures Made of Ultrathin Ferromagnetic Layers," P.M. Yarbrough, K.L. Livesey, R.E. Camley, R. Macêdo, Phys. Rev. Appl. 12, 024004 (2019).
- "Computing the effective permittivity of composite materials using a finite difference method," G. Godec and K.L. Livesey, Am. J. Phys. 87, 465 (2019).
- "Nano-Sized Ferrite Particles for Magnetic Resonance Imaging Thermometry," J.H. Hankiewicz, J.A. Stoll, J. Stroud, J. Davidson, K.L. Livesey, K. Tvrdy, A. Roshko, S.E. Russek, K. Stupic, P. Bilski, R.E. Camley and Z.J. Celinski, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 469, 550 (2019).
- "Using magnetic hyperbolic metamaterials as high-frequency tunable filters," R. Macedo, K.L. Livesey and R. Camley, Appl. Phys. Lett. 113, 121104 (2018).
- "Beyond the blocking model to fit nanoparticle ZFC/FC magnetisation curves," K.L. Livesey, S. Ruta, N.R. Anderson, D. Baldomir, R.W. Chantrell and D. Serantes, Sci. Reports 8, 11166 (2018).
- "Parallel pumping of a ferromagnetic nanostripe: confinement quantization and off-resonance driving," P.M. Yarbrough and K.L. Livesey, J. Appl. Phys. 123, 043904 (2018).
- With UCCS PhD student Patrick Yarbrough. "Magnetic shielding of 3-phase current by a composite material at low frequencies," K.L. Livesey, R.E. Camley, Z. Celinski, and S. Maat, AIP Advances 7, 056328 (2017).
- "Domain walls in finite-width nanowires with interfacial Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction," M.D. DeJong and K.L. Livesey, Phys. Rev. B 95, 054424 (2017). With UCCS MSc student Miriam DeJong. "Large, tunable microwave permittivity in a liquid doped with anisotropic particles," K.L. Livesey and R.E. Camley, J. Appl. Phys. 120, 054503 (2016).
- "Analytic theory for the switch from Bloch to Neel domain wall in nanowires with perpendicular magnetic anisotropy," M. D. DeJong and K. L. Livesey, Phys. Rev. B 92, 214420 (2015).
- With UCCS undergrad student Miriam DeJong. (Book chapter) "Nonlinear behavior in metallic thin films and nanostructures," K.L. Livesey, in Handbook of surface science: magnetism of surfaces, interfaces and nanoscale materials, edited by R.E. Camley, Z. Celinski and R.L. Stamps, available November 1 (2015).
- "Tunable transient decay times in nonlinear systems: application to magnetic precession," M.G. Phelps, K.L. Livesey, A. Ferona and R.E. Camley, Europhys. Lett. 109, 37007 (2015).
- With UCCS undergrad student Matthew Phelps and PhD student Aaron Ferona. "Spin waves in a thin film with magnetoelectric coupling at the surfaces," T. Moore, R.E. Camley and K.L. Livesey, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 372, 107 (2014).
- With UCCS undergrad student Tom Moore. "Magnetic studies of metal ion coordination clusters encapsulated with thiacalixarene," R. Fuller, K.L. Livesey, R. Woodward, A. McKinley, B. Skelton and G. Koutsantonis, Aust. J. Chem., http://dx.doi.org/10.1071/CH14136 (2014). "The formation of linear aggregates in magnetic hyperthermia: implications on specific absorption rate and magnetic anisotropy," S.L. Saville, B. Qi, J. Baker, R. Stone, R.E. Camley, K.L. Livesey, T.M. Crawford and O.T. Mefford, J. Colloid Interf. Sci. 424, 141 (2014).
- "Microwave properties of twisted and supertwisted nematic liquid crystals with weak anchoring," C.M. Karwin and K.L. Livesey, Liquid Crystals, DOI:10.1080/02678292.2013.878813 (2014).
- With UCCS undergrad student Chris Karwin. "Liquid crystal phase shifters with a twist," C.M. Karwin and K.L. Livesey, Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 063508 (2013).
- With UCCS undergrad student Chris Karwin. "Resonant frequencies on a binary magnetic nanowire," K.L. Livesey, J. Ding, N.R. Anderson, R.E. Camley, A.O. Adeyeye, M.P. Kostylev and S. Samarin, Phys. Rev. B 87, 064424 (2013).
- With UCCS PhD student Nick Anderson. "Domain dynamics and fluctuation in artificial square ice at finite temperatures," Z. Budrikis, K.L. Livesey, J.P. Morgan, J. Akerman, A. Stein, S. Langdridge, C.H. Marrows and R.L. Stamps, New J. Phys. 14, 035014 (2012).
- "Magneto-optical observation of four-wave scattering in a 15-nm Ni81Fe19 film during large-angle magnetization precession," H.T. Nembach, K.L. Livesey, M.P. Kostylev, P. Martin-Pimentel, S.J. Hermsdoerfer, B. Leven and B. Hillebrands, Phys. Rev. B 84, 184413 (2011).
- "Strain-mediated magnetoelectric coupling in magnetostrictive/piezoelectric heterostructures and resulting high frequency effects," K.L. Livesey, Phys. Rev. B 83, 224420 (2011).
- "Domain wall and microwave assisted switching in an exchange spring bilayer," T.J. Fal, K.L. Livesey and R.E. Camley, J. Appl. Phys. 109, 093911 (2011).
- "Exchange bias induced by domain walls in BiFeO3," K.L. Livesey, Phys. Rev. B 82, 064408 (2010).
- "Magnetic metals give better attenuation in small waveguides operating at high microwave frequencies than non-magnetic metals," K.L. Livesey and R.E. Camley, Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 252506 (2010).
- "High frequency susceptibility of a weak ferromagnet with magnetostrictive magnetoelectric coupling: using heterostructures to tailor electromagnon frequencies," K.L. Livesey and R.L. Stamps, Phys. Rev. B 81, 094405 (2010).
- "Effect of transverse magnetic correlations on a coupled order parameter: shifted transition temperatures and thermal hystereis," K.L. Livesey and R.L. Stamps, Phys. Rev. B 81, 064403 (2010).
Intro to Computational Physics - Most Popular Project Winners
- 2018 Collin Rinehart
- 2017 Alexandra Stuart
- 2016 Aaron Pauls
- 2015 Genevieve Godec
PES 3140 Intro to Computational Physics class of 2017 with Spikey.