Center for Magnetism and Magnetic Nanostructures
Brillouin Light Scattering
- JRS Scientific Instruments Tandem Fabry-Perot Interferometer TFP-1 (frequency range 0 - 1000 GHz)
- Conventional backward-scattering with wavevector resolution in BV and DE configurations
- Micro-focused setup with 100X 0.75NA Objective and travel range of 120um
- Nd:Vanadate laser operating at 532 nm
- Hitatchi photomultiplier with dark current less than 2 counts per second
- Two electromagnets with magnetic fields up to 8 kG (micro-focused setup) and 3kG (wavevector-resolved setup)
- Integrated Picoprobe station with two ports for the micro-focused setup
Measures microwave absorption in order to characterize various magnetic properties.
Measures electrical resistance as a function of applied field in exchange-coupled magnetic films.
Microwave Measurements System
System for the microwave characterization of on-wafer devices up to 110 GHz.
- Performance Network Analyzer (PNA) E8361A (0-67 GHz)
- Millimeter Head Controler (N5260A) + Waveguide T/R module with a bias-T (up to 110GHz)
- Pico-probe excitation and detection
Magneto-Optic Kerr Effect
Optical system for measuring hysteresis curves in ultrathin magnetic structures.
- Magnetic Field Range: ± 2.5 kOe
- Diode laser at 670 nm and 4 mW power
- High-quality polarizers
- Temperature Range: 20 K - 400 K
Molecular Beam Epitaxy
- Ultra-high vacuum chamber for deposition and in-situ characterization of ultrathin magnetic films.
- Growth Chamber
- 8 thermal evaporation sources and linear 4 pocket e-gun
- Reflection High Energy Electron Diffraction
- Residual Gas Analyzer unit
- Thickness monitor
- Analysis Chamber
- Low Energy Electron Diffraction units
- Auger Electron Spectroscopy and Ion Sputtering units
- k-Space Associate CCD Camera system (KSA400) for data acquisition of diffraction images
- Base pressure of 10-10 TorrSophisticated sample manipulator with five degrees of freedom operating at 150-1000 K